Thursday, January 17, 2013

My own protest

(wellspherecom.jpg)
The NHL lockout may be over but has anyone seen any kind of "deal" being offered to New York Ranger or New York Islander fans as a "we are sorry" gift? If you have please share with the rest of us because right now, I know I have not seen a thing.

I went to the Direct TV website to see what if any charges there would be for the NHL Center Ice package for this shortened season but there is nothing being said there. But I found this tweet on twitter which says 4 payments of 14.99 is going to be the cost.



To me it is just another case of business as usual by the NHL and their TV providers but those who can order the service via cable's "On Demand" service will see the cost be 10 dollars cheaper. I have to wonder given Comcast's relationship with the NHL is why cable customers are getting the better price?

Still if you are a out of market Islander fan then you might consider it a fair price to be able to watch your team. Ranger fans on the other hand might want to hold on a second because things are different for you.

The first thing I saw on the NHL Media page was the Ranger's TV schedule and if you live out of market like me then 60 bucks is not going to be for 48 games but rather 28 game games.

If your TV package already has the NHL Network then you are going to pay for 20 games that you were going to get anyway. The NHL Network USA schedule has the New York Rangers on 9 times starting with both of this weekends games against the Bruins and the Pens.

Then the Rangers will be appearing 8 times on Versus (oops my bad) the NBC Sports Network, 1 game on NBC and the last 2 games of the season a "home and home" series against the Devils will be shown on either NBC or NBCSN depending on the importance of the games.

But wait there is more as NBC will be allowed to "Flex" the NHL schedule and move the starting times for select games to allow them to be shown on NBC. And you will love that you will get 13 day's notice which might not seem like much but if you are hiring babysitters or have other plans for that time sorry out of luck.

As for me, I don't think I am going to get a good value here so I am going to see what I can get from Direct TV since they keep telling me what a loyal customer I am. I might need it if the wife finds out I spent that much more on hockey.

If not then sorry NHL you don't deserve even a dime of making me suffer through my 3rd lockout.

Game Action

Just 1 game on the schedule because of the 2013 Top Prospect's game and it was Brenden Kichton (NYI 2011 5th) and his Spokane Chiefs visiting the Kelowna Rockets who are also the current leaders in the WHL's BC Division as well as holders of the 2nd best record in the WHL's Western Conference.

The Chiefs lost 5-3 and sorry the score is rather misleading here as the Rockets owned the Chiefs for most of this game. The Rockets held a 4-0 lead after 2 periods and while the Chiefs rallied with 3 goals in the game's final 10 minutes it was too little too late.

Kichton had a primary assist on Spokane's 2nd goal for his 40th assist and 54th point of the season. But he was also a -3 on the night as well. The point helped Kichton extend his scoring streak to 9 games (5-9-14) as he remains the top point getter among WHL defenders.

No comments: